August 31, 2015
After months of investigations, the Public Prosecutor’s Office says it has proven Leopoldo Lopez’s guilt.
The Venezuelan Public Prosecutor’s Office issued a statement charging opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez with public instigation to violence and association to commit crimes.
For over two hours, the prosecutors Narda Sanabria and Franklin Nieves exposed their conclusions to the court, explaining why they found Lopez guilty
After 70 hearings in the case and 108 examined evidence, the Prosecutor’s Office concluded that Lopez publicly called upon his supporters to attack the government building, event in which six government vehicles and the building’s library were set on fire, in February 2014.
Experts and analysts showed that the opposition leader issued over 700 messages through his Twitter accounts before and after the protests, in which – except for one – he promoted violent protesting and the no recognition of Venezuelan authorities.
The Public Prosecutor’s Office concluded that the aim of Lopez’s actions was to alter the peaceful coexistence between Venezuelans, defy the authority of the country’s institutions and disregard the law.
Another four of Lopez’s sympathizers were also charged by the government body during the trial.
As the trial comes to its final stage, last week the President of the National Assembly (parliament) Diosdado Cabello said that Leopoldo Lopez threatened the government prosecutors with revenge when he became president.
The sentence in the political leader’s case could come as early as in the coming two weeks.
Leopoldo Lopez led violent protests last year which promoted the ousting of President Nicolas Maduro, through a campaign entitled “The Exit.” Over 43 people died between January and March due to political violence.